Lewis Law Firm
Lewis Law Firm
Educational Law

San Diego Education & Interscholastic Athletics Attorney

Do you know your child's rights as a student?

San Diego Attorney Protecting Children's Education Rights

Located in San Diego, California, the Lewis Law Firm can guide you through the various laws that may apply to your child's eligibility for an individualized education plan or participation in athletics.

Eligibility Issues for High School Varsity Athletics

Being part of a high school athletic team is valuable to students for many reasons — friendships, health benefits of physical activity and university scholarships. If your son or daughter has been told that he or she is ineligible to participate in varsity sports, contact a lawyer to discuss your options.

Common Questions Surrounding Eligibility

  • Transfers : To prevent unfair competition between high schools, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) prohibits recruitment of students who transfer to schools outside their residential area. But there are legitimate reasons for students to transfer to different high schools, unrelated to the competitive arena, such as the family's need to move due to job changes or marital dissolutions. Regardless of the reason, the new school or the CIF may deny the transferring student's participation.
  • Fifth-year eligibility : While the CIF legitimately regulates the number of semesters that athletes can compete in high school sports, there may be exceptions to allow the athlete to continue in interscholastic participation.
  • Learning disabled athletes : Parents of students with disabilities often have many questions regarding their child's eligibility to participate in high school sports.

If you have been told by the school that your child cannot play varsity sports in high school, contact me to discuss your options.

Students with Special Needs

Students who have special learning needs are protected by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).Your student may be entitled to an individualized education plan. Federal and state laws provide that your disabled child be given a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.

Creating an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)

Students with disabilities may need an IEP to enable them to learn. The development of the IEP requires:

  • Assessment : The student should be assessed in all areas of his or her suspected disability.
  • Placement : The student should be placed in the least restrictive environment with his or her peers.
  • Services : The student may need special services to implement the goals and objectives of his or her IEP, such as speech and language services (S&L), adaptive physical education (APE) or occupational therapy (OT).
  • Transition : The student will need a plan to transition from high school to life in the community, college or occupational training.

If you need assistance developing an IEP with your child's school, I can help to guide you so that we ask the right questions to obtain what your child needs in order to benefit from the learning years.

Representation in IEP Meetings or Due Process Hearings

I can attend IEP team meetings with you and protect your child's educational interests. If the IEP has already been established and is not meeting your child's needs or is not being fully implemented, I will represent your family at a due process administrative hearing.

Contact attorney Patty Lewis for a free initial consultation regarding your child's special education needs.

Discipline and Grade Issues at School

I can represent your student when there are issues of questionable or disproportionate discipline including suspension or expulsion. Your child should be represented by legal counsel when faced with expulsion hearings.

If your child has been treated unfairly in the grading process, I can provide representation to assist in handling these delicate issues.

Lewis Law,
a California Professional Corporation

755 West A Street
Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92101

Telephone: 888-424-1165
Local: 619-758-3486
Fax: 619-255-2452

E-mail | Map and Directions